Monday, May 12, 2008

At the airport.

We have a bit of a wait for the plane to East London, and some of us spotted an internet cafe and stumbled in to quickly check on things back home. Beth and Damond and Karen seem to be trying to catch up on Facebook, while others are out getting caffeinated or shopping for gifts in the airport shops. As the host to the international football championship in 2010, South Africa is pretty soccer-mad now, and in fact this whole airport is under construction in order to be prepared. The upside for us is that there are a lot of cool soccer-themed gifts here, which seem to be becoming popular gifts to take home.

One of the really geeky and really cool things we did in Kruger that I haven't mentioned so far is that we went and stood on the Tropic of Capricorn. That's the line in the the southern hemisphere where the sun goes the furthest south at it's peak. They actually put a brick line down on the ground at the correct parallel right at a small turnoff of a Kruger road. Some of the students were a little underwhelmed, but the professors (and some of the others) were really into the amazingness of it. We have some great photos of us standing on the line. How may people can say they have STOOD right on the Tropic of Capricorn, let alone crossed it? (I'll attempt to upload photos later today)

OK, people are starting to gather their things, so we need to get going on to East London, the Sugar Shack Hostel, and the beach. I suspect along with the beach will come some serious laundry as well.

More later, if possible...

1 comment:

Shane Blakebrough said...

Dear Andrea and Martha, and the 14 wonderful Elmira student visitors to South Africa

Your generosity was quite overwhelming and I do thank you so much for your hugely generous gratuity gift, it will go a long way to making my next trip to Europe in June a much more pleasant one!

I also thought I should just thank you and Martha for all your support and I hope that the part of the tour I was your guide was enjoyable and will have some happy memories for a long time to come!?

I would also like to say what a true pleasure it was to be able to pass on my little bit of knowledge about my personal experiences in South Africa, and about my country, to a group of young people who were interested in my country. It reminded me what a pleasure it is to see an enquiring mind opening up to new experiences and ideas! The students were a credit to your college and a pleasure to have on tour! I wish you and your students much success with the rest of your trip and with furthering their studies in the future.

Regards
Shane Blakebrough
+27-11-477-6328 Office
+27-11-673-1057 Fax
+27-83-654-5411 Mobile
Shane@wordpower.co.za